Tuesday 10 December 2013

Human Interest: Day In The Life Of A Final Year Student



Gone are the days of waking up sprawled alongside your bed, clothes still on from the night before, ready to puck. Not to mention the line of food you find along the way to the kitchen on the floor. Messy as it sounds, I'd give anything to go back to those days. Instead, life now consists of 9am lectures, dissertation worries, and the impact of real life getting ever nearer.

   Fitting in the amount of work, also requires fitting in paid work. Paying your way seems harder than ever. You’re finally sick and tired of the tinned meals you used to live on, with a taste for much more luxury goods. This comes with a much more luxury price tag. Along with this, Tesco own brand vodka doesn’t go down so well either.

   Final year comes with the urge to get into serious mode. The Christmas period will no longer be filled of days with old friends from home, but days with a pen and paper to hand. The pressure is on, and can’t you just feel it. A ‘9 til 5’ is soon on the horizon, making it a certainty to use this time well.

   The most you grow up is your time at university, not at school, when you’d think. I’ve gathered a series of life lessons, which now I’m about to put into practice. Being able to go supermarket shopping without spending most of my dollar on sweet treats and cakes will be one major point. Suddenly being able to understand how to work an iron is another achievement. As well as now being able to wash clothes with the end result still intact, and not to mention I now own a ‘man drawer’, something which I tend not to use often, but the intent is still there…

   This final year seems to bring a lot of ups and downs. It’s the final year of freedom, ironically being one of the most important years of your life. Funny that. I guess the best advice I could give myself is to enjoy it while it lasts and not to worry, I’ll soon be spending my days not being able to watch Jeremy Kyle followed by Holly and Philip on my screen, morning until lunch. What will life be like then?

No comments:

Post a Comment